When the hair on the eye called eyelash grows inward direction towards the eye instead of outward, it is known as an ingrown eyelash.
As it grows, it can start irritating the eye and eyelid. Ingrown eyelashes are mostly common in adults and it can occur on either the top or bottom eyelid and sometimes it occur on both the top and bottom of the eyelids. An ingrown eyelash is the result of inflammation, trauma, or an issue with the eyelid.
- Growing of eyelashes in inward direction instead of outwards is known as ingrown eyelashes.
- In medical terms it is known as TRICHIASIS
- They may be single or multiple in number.
- Usually they might be present on upper eyelid or lowereyelid.
Pictures of Ingrown Eyelash:
Image 1: upper eyelid ingrown eyelid
Photo 2: lower eyelid ingrown eyelid
- It causes the discontinuity in the eyelid
- Sometimes the improper formation of the scar leads to ingrown eyelashes due to the deformation of the skin on the eye lid.
- Few surgeries may lead to ingrown eyelash
Entropion / inrected eyelids:
- It is the condition of folding of eyelids inwards.
- Margin of the eyelids turns towards inside which causes the weakness of muscles that holds the eyelids in position causing ingrown eyelashes.
- Several bacterial, viral, fungal infection can cause ingrown eyelashes.
- Microorganisms may enter the follicle of eyelashes causing the disturbance in their growth.
- They cause obstruction of small oil glands on eyelids causing the formation of ingrown eyelashes.
Blepharitis (or) meibomian gland syndrome
It is the inflamation of the eyelids. Long standing blepharitis
- Bolckage of meibomian gland syndrome(small oilglands in eyelid)
- Allergies.(most common strepto** | bacteria.)
Stye Small bump forming on the eyelid usually caused by bacterial infections.
Auto immune diorders:
- Stevens jhonson syndrome
- Vernal keratoconjuctivitis
It rarely effects eyelids. Thickened skin can cause the formation of in grown eyelash.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Discomfort or pain( pain is mainly due to inflamation)
- Watery eyes – it can cause blurred vision.
- Redness of eye.
- Frequent eye infections.
- Scratching of cornea by eyelashes – it causes corneal abrasion.
- Prednisolone – reduces redness and inflammation instilled as eye drops.common side effects ate blurred vision and mild witotion of eye.
- Fluocinolone – manages redness and inflammation applied as cream.
caution must be taken by pregnant females, liver and kidney diseased conditions, persons allergic to steroids.
- Gentamicin – kills bacteria used in treatment of blepharitis, applied as cream
- Ciprofloxacin – instilled as eye drops. Used to treat infection of eyes and eyelids.
Artificial tears :
- Used for treatments of dry eyes
- Reducing corneal scarring
- Applied as eye drops or ointment.
It is a procces of removing any part of the body.
Epilation of eyelashes can be done by two methods
main drawback – Recurrence of ingrown eyelash.
It is method that uses high frequency electrical current for removal of ingrown eyelashes.
Main drawback: discolouration of skin and risk of treatment failure and expensive.
Destruction of diseased tissue by using extreme cold. It is a painless procedure . Very few side effects
Draw back: expensive procedure.
IT is used to treat people with multiple ingrown eyelashes
Drawback – costly and sensitive technique.
It uses ionised as active medium. Works on the principle of photocoagulation ( it means, laser helps to coagulate cell and tissues. )
Benefits – low side effects and highly effective.
Drawbacks – hypopigmentation of eyelids and expensive.
- Protection of eyes by reducing the use of electronic gadgets
- Eating food rich vitamin E, A, C
- Developing good eye care habits.
- Warm compress – reduces inflammation.
- Tea bag compress – reduces eyelid swelling(tannin in tea powder acts as anti-bacterial and anti inflammatory agent )
- Coconut oil – it has antibacterial and anti inflammatory action.
- Aloeveera – prevent bacteria and decreases the inflammantion
- Honey – used for eyelid infections.
- Turmeric paste – prevent rashes, redness of eye and eyelid infections.